Sunday, August 14, 2011

Wiring Diagram


As parts trickle in from far and near, I am losing a bit of sleep over two topics. (a) Flywheel balancing and (b) wiring. See, wiring an electric car is not like wiring a radio controlled car or even a house. It is dangerous. Done wrong, it can kill. The battery pack on the low-end will be 144VDC capable of sourcing over 1,000 Amps. Simply put, 144,000 instantaneous Watts of power can be sourced by the battery pack without trying too hard. So soldering is out the window. It could melt. Crimping is in. Heat shrink and wiring standards are in. Isolation of signal lines from power lines is a must. Booties over every possible hot connection is mandatory. Fuses and inductive kickback diodes must be strategically placed to protect the Zilla, Hairball, and Soneil charger. Presently, I have a rough idea of what the theoretical wiring diagram is supposed to look like, but practically, I have not converted that to a purchase list. 4/0 Welding cable is rather expensive per foot, so I owe this Blog a detailed electrical parts list that wastes not.

1 Comments:

At 8:18 AM , Blogger Chris said...

I just finished my 1972 Type 3 VW conversion. While not a Ghia, it is very similar car. I'm #2816 at ev album, my blog is evfastback.blogspot.com. I'm a journeyman electrician and would love to help you so you're life is not as difficult as mine was! Drop me a line: chris@pecktool.com.
Chris

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home